Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I was on Yasmin but stopped the packet 4 days before

Customer Question

Hello, I was on Yasmin but stopped the packet 4 days before it was supposed to finished because it didn't agree with me. I then had sex 4 or 5 days later, and then started withdrawal bleeding the next day. Could I be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually maybe it was more like 3 days later rather than 4/5
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 months ago.
How long ago was it that you had sex and started withdrawal bleeding? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was 12 days ago we had sex and 11 days since I started withdrawal bleeding
Pregnancy is a possibility, although there it's probably to soon to tell.When a woman stops her pills early, she loses protection. Usually 3 days without the pill won't result in ovulation, but it could.You won't really know for about 2 weeks after sex, when a pregnancy test will usually be positive if you did get pregnant.If a pregnancy test is negative at 2 weeks, I'd repeat it at 3 weeks after sex. If that's negative, then pregnancy is pretty much ruled out.Be sure to us some type of protection in the future. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks. It wouldn't be a bad thing if I was pregnant as was going on it for other medical reasons, but seems to be very unlikely
Yes. Many women won't ovulate for about 3 weeks after stopping the pill, so pregnancy is unlikely.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So I just want to check - you can physically ovulate before having a withdrawal bleed? How is that possible?
You can ovulate and then have a withdrawal bleed. The bleed comes from the withdrawal of hormones. Ovulation does not change that. Ovulation will soon cause progesterone levels to rise, but that may not be soon enough to prevent withdrawal bleeding.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. The reason for the sudden question was because I got really hot and sweaty for about 20 minutes this afternoon which is exactly what happened around the time my son implanted. I then went to the loo a few hours later and noticed some bro wish discharge so it just made me start to calculate dates as it all felt very familiar but as it seems unlikely I suppose it could just be my body adjusting to coming off the pill I suppose? Or maybe the start of my actual real period?
It could be your body adjusting to coming off the pill.It's too early to have a real period.