LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care
93539917

From my readings hormonal treatment of Atypia complex Hyperplasia

Customer Question

From my readings hormonal treatment of Atypia complex Hyperplasia eventually result in a hysterectomy. Are their treatments of atypia complex hyperplasia that do not result in a hysterectomy and will result in normal menopause. I am 56 and have not lost my period. I was recently diagnosed with atypia complex hyperplasia.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: that's it for now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and I can help you with this. Hyperplasia refers to the increased growth of the lining of the uterus (the endometrium). This can occur to any woman at any time, but is more common in older women and overweight women at any age. Typical symptoms are heavy and/or irregular bleeding. Patients will usually present to the doctor with complaints of irregular bleeding, heavy bleeding, heavy and irregular bleeding, or bleeding after menopause. A biopsy has to be performed to make the diagnosis. When a biopsy of the endometrium is performed, there are several different results: 1. Benign (normal) endometrium 2. Simple hyperplasia without atypia 3. Simple hyperplasia with atypia 4. Complex hyperplasia without atypia 5. Complex hyperplasia with atypia. The treatment differs based on the result. Benign and simple hyperplasia have a very low risk of progression to cancer and can be managed conservatively with hormones. Complex hyperplasia with or without atypia has an increased risk of becoming cancer and surgical management is recommended unless there is a reason to attempt to preserver the uterus for childbearing (as in a very young woman). In your case, if you have complex hyperplasia with atypia, you have about a 33% chance of this progressing to cancer. Hysterectomy is recommended to prevent cancer or diagnose cancer in its very early stages if it is already there. Hormonal therapy is not recommended because of the chance for cancer.