LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care

I just saw my results and I wanted to know if i'm ok. Background

Customer Question

I just saw my results and I wanted to know if i'm ok. Background on myself. I'm 30, turning 31 in june. We are trying to have a baby. I found out from my test on the 3rd of my period I had 7 follicles in each ovary. My other blood work was for DHEAS. I just want to know if this rate is ok, or this might be an issue.
DHEAS (ug/dL) 167 mcg/dL
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am an OB/GYN and can help you with this. Having 7 follicles in each ovary is great, so that's good news. DHEA-S is a form of testosterone and is sometimes elevated in women that do not have regular cycles and/or have something called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). A value of 167 mcg/dL is normal for your age. The normal range of values at your age is 45-270 mcg/dL, so everything is normal with that and it will not cause an issue with you getting pregnant.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is great news. I have been worried. Just on other question, When having your period snd at the end you get the more brownish blood that might extend your period from 5 days to 6 or 7 is that normal as well?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh yea and do have different number of Follicles each month?
Yes, it is normal to have brownish bleeding or spotting either before or after your period that makes your period seem longer. It is not anything to worry about and does not effect your chances of becoming pregnant. It happens because your body is just trying to get rid of all of the inside lining of the uterus, because it builds up each month in preparation for a pregnancy. It is brown because it has been sitting there all month. Your ovaries are made up of follicles and each month, several follicles compete to see which one will get big enough to release an egg that month. So each month, you will have a varying number of follicles, but only one will become dominant and release the egg (ovulate). The ovaries are stimulated by hormones in your brain and this makes the follicles grow. Each month, this will happen. As long as you have follicles and are getting your period each month, you should become pregnant within one year of unprotected sex. Good luck!