Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

My husband had a semen analysis but we didn't get any explanation

Customer Question

My husband had a semen analysis but we didn't get any explanation of what everything meant....it said % normal forms 7 >4% normal forms, % head defects 90% and %tail defects 3% what does this mean. Thank you
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. How many total minutes elapsed from the time the semen specimen was in the glass (not plastic) container & given to the laboratory for processing?2. Verify the specimen was transported in what type of container material?3. How old is your husband?
As I will be away from this site for awhile, I will answer your questions as best I can. Your husband's specimen is abnormal, and i would not expect you getting pregnant at this time if his next specimen is the same. My questions were asked in order to rule out factors that could contribute to a faulty specimen. It is import to repeat the sample and follow these few guidelines:1. The specimen should not be collected in plastic as this can affect the sample. A glass container is best2. The specimen should be delivered to the processing lab within 30 minutes of production. I recommend he make the specimen at the facility as the sooner it is process the more accurate the reading.Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Hi, I see you have reviewed my answer. I hope this has helped.Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my timeHave a great day!