LaKrystal Warren
LaKrystal Warren,
Experience:  Physician at Contemporary Women's Care

My girlfriend and I recently decided to engage in intercourse

Customer Question

My girlfriend and I recently decided to engage in sexual intercourse for the first time. It was quite romantic and everything and we used a condom, but it's been over a week and she is still bleeding. It was her first time. What do I do?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Gynecologist before I connect you two?
Customer: No, I don't believe so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  LaKrystal Warren replied 6 months ago.
Hello,It can be normal to have bleeding after intercourse for the first time because the there is a barrier (the hymen), that has to be broken in order for penetration to occur. This can result in pretty significant bleeding at the time of intercourse. It can take a few days to clear up, so what you are describing can be normal. Also, if during intercourse, there is not enough lubrication, small tears can happen in the vaginal tissues and this can cause bleeding. Finally, it is possible that the time of intercourse coincided with the time of her period and that is why she is still bleeding. Overall, if the bleeding is light (spotting with wiping, not filling a pad, and less than a period), it is not cause for concern and will likely clear up on its own. If it is heavy and/or forming blood clots, that is concerning for a large tear and she will need to be examined in a Gynecologists office as soon as possible.