Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Here is an article about how phytoestrogens in red wine

Customer Question

Here is an article about how phytoestrogens in red wine affect postmenopausal women.
http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdfIf you look at the second set of bar graphs, it shows FSH falling 12.5% with red wine. Another doctor told me that estradiol usually lags FSH, so the total effect on estradiol is probably less than a 12.5% increase for just one glass of wine. Can you make a guess of what the actual amount might be for estradiol. To remind you these are in postmenopausal women.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also, does FSH respond to just estradiol or to estrone too?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 8 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested. There is no way to make even an educated guess concerning estradiol from the data you have provided.Actual experimentation would be needed to come to a valid conclusion.Does this make sense to you?I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** think I'm going to wait for a gynecologist to answer. I really appreciate your candor, though.
My pleasure. I will opt out so that a OB/GYN can answer you.Have a good week.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn.
Phytoestrogens are an interesting group of molecules with some estrogen effects which are in the weak range of potency. Many plants manufacture these estrogen-like compounds that it's believed to have evolved to mess up fertility in grazing animals so there are fewer herbivores to consume the plants. Humans don't manufacture these but when ingested are metabolized. They do compete for estrogen receptor sites on tissue and behave either agonistic or antagonistic. In the pituitary it would appear to be agonist as the FSH levels can be lower from phytoestrogens. It is speculated that breast receptor sites are occupied by the phytoestrogens blocking estradiol from possibly stimulating cancer changes. In reproductive women it doesn't make a difference particularly in western diets. Cultures that consume these plants are also consuming less animal fat so that has to be considered in the benefits. The amount of phytoestrogens hasn't been correlated with the different aspects of menopause and bone metabolism and hot flashes. Fat tissue produces estrogen which might diminish with more herbivore eating habits. I'm not sure this helps answer your question but it is a fascinating topic.