Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

During the month of February I was on antibiotics days

Customer Question

During the month of February I was on antibiotics for 20 days for a sinus infection then strep throat. My period was 9 days late and very watery like and light, lasted for 6 days. Now I am. I Am mid cycle and think I am ovulating, but passed a clot and now I have mucousy spotting when I wipe. I am also 45 years old.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.A few questions first to clarify your concern:1. Do you have periods every month? If not when did they start to become irregular? If so how many days do they usually last?2. Was this last period associated with any pain or cramping out of the norm? If so describe2. Are
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Period were normal, until I got sick and took antibiotics, I am also very stressed most of the time. I suffer from pms most months as well and this last month I just has some cramping.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your response. It is important to remember that our menstrual cycles are very sensitive to changes in our environment, and especially to stress. Since you were being treated for an infection, a significant enough stressor to cause a change in your menstrual cycle. The good news is that these changes are generally self-limiting as the woman recovers from the stressor or returns to her usual habits. The change in the length of menstrual flow and quantity can be affected as in your case; however your subsequent cycle will most likely return to the normal flow. The other thing to consider is your age and the possibility that you may be entering the perimenopausal period in your life. If this is the case then you can expect changes that may not be anything like your regular cycle. For instance some women experience a gradual change to the normal flow with spotting as the main event, other woman experience heavier bleeding than usual. Only time will tell just how your experience will be. It can even vary among women in the same family. For now try and relax, get regular exercise, which has shown to help women have regular cycles, and help women who are experiencing perimenopausal & subsequent menopausal changes. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The day I started spotting again was the same day I found out about how bad my dad's cancer is and I am only assuming that could have an impact on my cycle as well.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 8 months ago.
You are absolutely right, that is certainly enough of a stressor to cause a menstrual change. Although it is hard to say for sure given the timing of the news. In any event, rest assurred that the change you have describe in not a cause for urgent alarm. As a woman who is still in her menstruating period of her life, a menstrual change will generally occur at some point in any woman's menstruating life time. I hope your father is able to continue to enjoy the rest of his life with family as he goes through this difficult time. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health questionHave a great day!
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I see you do not have any other questions at this time. Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time