Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

10 days before my period was due-I wiped and saw pink on the

Customer Question

10 days before my period was due-I wiped and saw pink on the tissue (1 time).. Then a week later saw pink again after I wiped (3 days before period) also had a pap done that day wondering if that's why but what was the pink 10 days ago? What could this be?? Should I worry
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today. Yes it's actually very common for a pap smear to trigger a bit of bleeding. If I see that there is a bit of blood from the brush at pap, I warn the woman that she may have a day or two of pink tinge discharge or spotting. This isn't the sign of anything bad or wrong happening. It's just the brush that we use to take the pap can irritate the tender surface when cells are rubbed off with the brush. I hope this is reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok then what was the pink 10 days before my period? I should also add that my period came 4 days later than usual and I experienced 2 nights of night sweats -
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Ah, I just reread your question and see what you mean. At age 37, it's common for women to start to have some hormonal changes that can explain both the spotting 10 days earlier, the late period and the hot flashes. As the ovaries age, there are times that the estrogen level dips around ovulation (14 days before the next period comes). This can cause a slight spotting or bloody discharge that can last 1-2 days. Hot flashes or night sweats can accompany such low estrogen dips. There is another estrogen dip right before the period starts too. Many women as they get closer to 40 and into their 40s, will have intermittent symptoms similar to menopausal symptoms. These can include the spotting, delayed ovulation (hence late periods) and hot flashes that come and go. Usually when these changes start, I'll have women start tracking the symptoms to see if a cyclical pattern emerges. Often there are symptoms around ovulation and right before the onset of the period. Some women also note decreased vaginal lubrication during those estrogen dip times. Anything else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so you don't think this is anything to worry about? I will keep an eye out to see if it happens again..
I was on a low estrogen birth control but have been off now for about 8 months -
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
This doesn't sound worrisome. But do track it. The fact that you had a recent pelvic exam is very reassuring against anything serious going on. Thyroid disease can sometimes cause late periods and hot flashes, so if there is any other reason to suspect thyroid disease, it may be worth getting a blood test. If due to perimenopausal changes, the symptoms will come and go and usually (especially the mid-cycle spotting) be on certain days of the period cycle. Anything else I can add?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What other symptoms would I have if it were my thyroid?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
There could be fatigue or anxiety, skin dryness, constipation, dry hair, heart palpitations, foggy brain. The symptoms are pretty general. We do end up testing for thyroid function quite often because the symptoms can be so general.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is this a serious condition? What actions are taken if I were to have this?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Thyroid disorders are pretty easy to treat. Underfunctioning is much more common and requires taking a daily medication that has essentially no side effects if properly dosed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Isn't there usually weight gain with this??
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Yes, there can be either weight gain or weight loss. But many women as they age get weight gain due to naturally slowing metabolism. But yes we do check women for underfunctioning thyroid quite often. The symptoms can overlap with menopausal, perimenopausal and normal changes with aging.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Anything else for today?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just curious.. Do they check the thyroid during pregnancy?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Usually not routinely. The guidelines do not include this as routine although some individual doctors might check it routinely during pregnancy. Most don't. Anything else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm actually confused.. How do I know if it came from my urine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It may not every happen again- and I hope not!
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
You mean the blood? The way to tell the difference is to put a tampon inside the vagina. If there is no blood on the tampon, the blood might have come from the urine instead. It's much more common for blood like this to show up from the vagina not the urine. Anything else for today?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well it was just a little bit on my toilet paper .. After I urinated..
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I assumed if it were urine-it would be pink in the bowl?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
If there is a lot it will be in the bowl but that's true if it's from the vagina too. So that's not a reliable way to tell. You can wrap some tissue around your finger and put it inside the vagina to see if that's where it's coming from. Or a tampon like I mentioned. Anything else?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are these night sweats something further to look into or its def hormonal?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Night sweats can be from many different causes. Hormonal ones will come and go and at first be on just certain days of the cycle, usually around ovulation and again before the period. Night sweats from other causes will persist, get worse and aren't on any cycle. Hormonal cause is BY FAR the most common reason in women above the age of 35.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you! I get very nervous when it comes to my health. I also have fainted in the past so I get worried with any symptom - had some tests done all seems to be ok. Though never had my heart checked other than a ekg. My dr feels I shouldn't look for something so young in age. I also have fainted a few times in life. So I don't think I would have made it this far lol
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Health anxiety can be hard to control. Try not to google doctor too much. I'm glad I was able to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Good luck.