Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I had my first u/s and fetal pole and fetal heart beat

Customer Question

I had my first u/s and fetal pole and fetal heart beat seen/heard. Doctor says i appear to be 6 weeks (lmp would say I'm 7 weeks) I was a heavy smoker and since finding out I am pregnant I have cut down to 5-7 a day.. I am trying to quit completely .. My question is what is the risk of
Miscarriage once a heartbeat is heard and if I stop cold turkey would the withdrawal hurt the baby and have I done damage already?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Hi it's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.Congratulations on your pregnancy. Let me reassure you that the sooner you quit, the better it is for the baby. There will be no harmful withdrawal for the baby at all. Smoking damages the blood vessels that feed the baby, so the sooner you quit, the better the blood vessels will grow. This will assure that the baby grows healthy and strong. If you're having trouble quitting, be sure to talk to your OB about this. Recent research shows best success with "cold turkey". I hope this information is helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything or add details.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About about in general the risk of miscarriage.. I have been on so many blogs and heard such horror stories that I am just wondering what is the rate of miscarriage once a heartbeat is established?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
Some of that depends on the heart rate and the age of the woman. But if the heart rate is normal, it's about 5%. Anything else I can help with today?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My doctor only established the heart beat however did not check the rate.. I have to go back for my first on appointment in 3 weeks which would make me 9 weeks.. She said fetal pole and heart beat were seen and that was it and pregnancy was confirmed..
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 8 months ago.
If all is well at the 9 weeks check, the miscarriage risk will go WAY DOWN. I hope all goes well. Are there any other questions I can help with today?