Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

When should I be worried about a small cyst?

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today? I'm sorry to hear about the cyst. Is it located on the ovary? Most cysts on the ovary in your age group are not concerning. Every month a women who is having periods makes a cyst that forms around the egg that will be released that month. Many times we see such cysts on ultrasound. Worrisome cysts are large or enlarging, cause symptoms, look "complex" on ultrasound (versus "simple") and are found in women with a family history of ovarian or breast cancer. Usually in your age group, the response to a cyst found on ultrasound would be either ignore it or repeat the ultrasound in a few months. Usually it's gone by the time the next ultrasound is done. If a cyst is large or persistent, it still is usually not from a cancer cause but we do usually advise removal because of other reasons which include symptoms (most often pain) or the risk of "torsion". That's a twisting of the ovary that can cause severe pain and loss of the ovary. I hope this has been reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.