Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I was just searching an article/answer by you but since you

Customer Question

i was just searching an article/answer by you but since you ask I'll ask you. I have been diagnosed With HSV 2 almost 20 years ago now. I didn't need to take valtrwx with my last partner but started again when I started dating again. I had intercourse with a different partner two weeks ago and last Sunday had swelling on my anis. I don't partake in anal sex. I also have Crohn's which is pretty dormant. I doubled my valtrwx but I developed painful area on my anus. I think there were blisters and now there is a fissure. Is it possible I got HSV 1 now too? I have no contact with my partners in that area
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry it sent before I was done it possible to contract HSV 1 if you have HSV 2? I haven't had an HSV outbreak for years even without suppression and it always was in the same place and I don't engage in any anal
JA: OK got it. Last thing — OB GYN Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Contact when I'm sexually active, mostly because it is not something I want to do with Crohn's history. The valtrwx has always stopped any imminent outbreak but it's not helping this time
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.Have you ever had oral cold sores, even as a child?When you were diagnosed with HSV2 20 years ago, did you have any blood tests for HSV1?
I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back. The direct answer to whether someone with HSV2 can get an HSV1 infection is yes. However, it is more complex than a simple answer. A large majority of adults have already been infected with HSV1, usually as an oral infection acquired as a child. So, for the majority of people, they cannot get infected with genital HSV1 infections because of the previous oral HSV1 infections, regardless of whether they have an HSV2 infection. In the minority of people that make it to adulthood without getting HSV1, and then get a genital HSV2 infection, then yes, it is possible for that person to become infected with HSV1, either as a genital or an oral infection. I asked for the additional information because this may help to clarify your situation. If you had blood tests for HSV1 done at the same time when the diagnosis of HSV2 was made, and that blood test was negative, then that is proof that you have not been infected, so are susceptible to an HSV1 infection. A history of oral cold sores would also indicate that you had a previous HSV1 infection, so would not be susceptible to an HSV1 infection. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.