Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had a complete hysterectomy 14 years ago. Last evening I

Customer Question

I had a complete hysterectomy 14 years ago. Last evening I had intercourse and bled significantly. I have not been sexually active for about a year. Should I be concerned?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.
Are you taking any hormones?When was your last pelvic exam? Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I am not taking hormones.
My last pelvic exam was July 2015. It was normal.
Assuming that your ovaries were removed, I think that the most likely cause of your bleeding is from the thin and fragile vaginal tissues that result from low estrogen. It's called vaginal atrophy.It may be a combination of the thin tissues plus not using your vagina over the past year that resulted in the bleeding.It would be worthwhile to see your doctor for an exam just to be sure. There are other possible causes of bleeding, such as vaginal polyps, delayed healing from the hysterectomy, and even possible cancer. But most likely it's nothing serious.If the bleeding is from vaginal atrophy, then using some vaginal estrogen cream will thicken up the vaginal tissues and prevent further bleeding in the future. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much for your quick response. I will visit my doctor for an exam.
You're very welcome.Please click the rating stars. Thank you.