Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified MD
28323552

Last week I have had intermittent small sharp pains in my

Customer Question

Hi, for the last week I have had intermittent small sharp pains in my ovary area. I have been having odd symptoms for the last couple of months which I have related to Gastro issues - bowel changes, pressure on bladder, and occassional stomach cramps. The last week I have also had some discharge (not smelly, just different to usual - one day was a bit snotty and gluggy but that hasn't been every day).I am freaking out about Ovarian Cancer!! Can you please advise if you think it could be this?History: I gave birth to my second son 10 months ago. Have had up to date blood tests this week and they all came back clear. I am 30yrs old.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Pain is something that is very unusual with ovarian cancer in early stages.

Have you had any tests done like ultrasound or a CAT scan of your abdomen?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add I'm also having lower back discomfort. No I haven't had a pelvic ultrasound, I had an abdominal ultrasound in December 2015 for suspected gallstones but that can back clear. No CAT scan.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

It is UNLIKELY with the normal ultrasound that you have had recently that this is anything serious.

It may be related to your lower back.

I would recommend that you should have a MRI of your lower back to see if there is a disc disease or a disease of the bones of the back (vertebrae) that may be pinching on the nerves in the back causing the pain that you are having.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have. The only way I

am credited here by the website and the money that you have deposited is released

is when you rate me.
Therefore, I would appreciate a rating, by clicking on one of the rating options

(stars) at your end, when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there was something wrong in my lower back, would that cause the other symptoms I am having - the lower abdominal cramps and pain intermittent pain in ovary area?When they did the ultrasound, it was of my upper abdomen, not my ovaries?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You should first have an ultrasound of your pelvis and if that is normal then have MRI of your lower spine.

Yes, pinched nerves in the back can cause all the symptoms that you are having.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me when you are done.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. One last question - so what do you suspect it could be? Do my symptoms point towards Ovarian cancer? Would I not be protected during pregnancy and breastfeeding or not necessarily? My ovaries would have been checked about 18 months ago when I did IVF.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

VERY UNLIKELY to be ovarian cancer.

Pregnancy and breastfeeding has a protective effect that is right.

Yes your ovaries were definitely 100% checked when you had your IVF.

is when you rate me.

Kindest regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had some frozen embryos stored and used that so didn't go through the full round of IVF this time but I think they did an ultrasound to check things. Given that that was 18 months ago, is it even more unlikely or could Ovarian Cancer develop and spread pretty quickly?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Yes they surely did an ultrasound to see the ovaries before taking your eggs out. Rather the eggs are taken out through an ultrasound guided procedures so they had a good close look at your ovaries. Please rate me before we proceed. I would appreciate that. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't need to take my eggs out the second time round as I had frozen embryos stored and used one of these. The egg extraction was done about 4 years ago. Could you please answer this part of my question and then I will close off and rate you :-) "Given that the ultrasound was done approx 18-19 months ago, is it even more unlikely or could Ovarian Cancer develop and spread pretty quickly?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Trust me, it is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.

Ovarian cancer is a painless condition and does not cause pain to begin with. If you had pain with ovarian cancer the cancer would be huge causing swelling or distention of your abdomen.

You can have another ultrasound done now to be sure.

Even if the recent abdominal ultrasound (which was normal) is very reassuring because ovarian cancers are pretty huge and can easily be picked up on abdominal ultrasounds as well, if done properly.

Regards