Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Not pregnant. Pain during urination. Right side to the right

Customer Question

Not pregnant. Pain during urination. Right side to the right of belly button. I feel the urge to urinate and when the flow begins so does the pain. Some "sore" type pain in right side
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. It certainly sounds like a urinary bladder infection where you have urgency and then burning on urination. You could take some vitamin C and cranberry juice but need to get on an antibiotic. You would have a urine culture and sensitivity test to see what antibiotic works. I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. It's not necessarily burning as much as a pain in my right side. I am worried it is a appendix inflammation.
Appendicitis is always a concern with lower abdominal symptoms. It actually starts with pain around the belly button then settles in rlght lower quadrant. It should be easy to sort out what's going on.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How are bladder infection symptoms different from kidney stone/infection symptoms?
A kidney infection usually flank pain and some fever. Kidney stone pain is usually when the stone is stuck in the ureter, the right in this case but the pain comes in waves lasting 30-60 seconds coming 1-2 minutes apart causing prayer or even a deal with the devil. I had it once and it lasted for hours
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. The pain is in the area like if you put your hands on your waist. It's where your finger tips would be. When I urinate it almost feels like a muscle is painfully flexing and then releasing as the pain stops. But this pain is in my side. It goes away after I urinate and all that remains is this ache in the location I described above
You need a urinalysis and someone to assess your lower abdomen for signs of an appendicitis or blood on microscopic exam of the urine. The sooner you do this the better the symptoms.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. ***** be worried?
It's probably a bladder infection. Even if it were appendix or stone they are routine problems.