Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have had swollen armpits week or so after a cold and now

Customer Question

I have had swollen armpits for a week or so after a cold and now its just the right one. It is a bit sore. I don't seem to have any lumps though or anywhere on my breasts. They are not as bad as they were, could it be caffeine, or intoleranace to eggs?
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: I think I might have anxiety as my dad died suddenly of cancer last summer and two friends my age have cancer - I am 38
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.

Where are you in your cycle?

Do you have regular periods?

Do you use anything for birth control?

Do you take any medications?

Do you have breast soreness? Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am half way through my cycle I don't take medication. I am not on birth control and my breasts are only sore in conjunction with the underarm pain. Thanks

There is often breast tissue in the armpits, and it can swell and get sore. Since the soreness in the armpits and breast seems to go together, I'm pretty sure that is what is causing the swelling.

I'm not sure why you have the swelling now if you didn't have it before, but perhaps having the cold has brought it on.

It's very unlikely to have anything to do with cancer as long as you can feel no breast lumps. However, it might be best to see your doctor for an exam, just to be sure. Best wishes.