Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Okay so I have the Skyla IUD in place and a few nights ago I

Customer Question

Okay so I have the Skyla IUD in place and a few nights ago I had sex...the sex was pretty painful but it could have hurt for a variety of reasons. I checked and the strings were in place, but I swear I could feel the bottom of the IUD - is that normal or should I schedule an appointment to make sure the IUD is still doing its job?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 months ago.

It's definitely not normal to feel the bottom of the IUD. If you really did, that means that the IUD is not properly in place, and will be less effective.

I would schedule an appointment to have it checked.

If the doctor can feel the IUD at your visit, it might be possible to insert it farther inside the uterus where it belongs. Otherwise it can be removed, and another inserted if you wish.

If the doctor is not able to feel the bottom of the IUD, an ultrasound can ascertain whether or not it's in the correct position. Best wishes.