Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Was wondering if it is possible to be experiencing post

Customer Question

Hi. Was wondering if it is possible to be experiencing post herpetic neuralgia after a HSV 2 outbreak? I was diagnosed with HSV 2 approximately 12 years ago. I have had less than 10 outbreaks in those 12 years. It went 5 years without an outbreak. Was not on suppressive therapy during those 5 years. Had 1st outbreak in years Dec. 2015. Outbreaks always have consisted of one lesion and typically always in the same spot. I began taking Valtrex 500mg daily. Had another outbreak in Feb. 2016. The lesion was so small. Maybe the size of a pin head. Continued on Valtrex 500mg daily. The lesion healed. Approximately 3-5 days after the lesion healed, I began experiencing horrible vulva burning. I went to my OBGYN. I have tested negative for all bacteria/yeast. The only symptom I'm having is unreal vulva burning, worse when sitting. I do tend to get relief with walking and lying down. This has been going on for 6 weeks. My doctor did say it sounded to her like Vulvodynia and started me on amitriptyline 10mg every hour of sleep. This has not seemed to help. Anyway, I feel like this is a post herpetic neuralgia that I'm experiencing. Is this possible?? Have follow up appointment with my OGBGYN mid April.
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Just main complaint is horrible vulva burning worse with sitting. Improves with walking and lying down. Does NOT hurt to touch. Does NOT hurt to insert tampon or have intercourse. I'm usually fine in the morning when waking up and then symptoms increase as day goes on. This has been going on for 6 weeks.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hello

That is possible, but not certain.

There have been case reports of sensations and pain after HSV 2 breakouts.

It was also recently established that this happens with HSV 1.

I would suggest a course of lyrica, and if this works, neuralgia, regardless of cause

should respond.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.