Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Do you think anything can shrink my grapefruit sized

Customer Question

Do you think anything can shrink my grapefruit sized fibroid...no pain, no bleeding (past menopause)? If not, what should i do.. I don't want my insides removed but I can't (stomach) my big belly any longer. I have heard awful things can happen to a woman after hysterectomy including...shifting of insides which causes ribs and backbones to cave in causing her to shrink; inability to move bowels and urinate properly; I already have ridiculous hot flashes..will they get worse?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. The fibroid won't shrink more now that it's menopause. You don't need a grapefruit fibroid pressing on your urinary bladder making you urinate more frequently. You should have it removed with the small uterus and shrunken ovaries we find in menopause. Removing the uterus and your grapefruit won't cause your backbone to cave. What causes the backbone problem in women is menopause and the lack of the hormone estrogen. The bones get dried up and crunch together. With the uterus and fibroid out they can give you estrogen which will keep your bones healthier. You'll move your bowels and urinate better without the fibroid pushing against everything. I've been doing ObGyn a long time and never regretted having taken the uterus and one ore more fibroids out. Trust me, you'll feel a lot better and lose the weight of the fibroid. Rate are conversation and go for it. Estrogen will get rid of those nasty hot flashes once the uterus is out and the fibroid is out that would get bigger if you took estrogen with the grapefruit still inside.
Have you read my response. It's possible the fibroid will get smaller over time but the symptoms will be present until it gets smaller. They are benign but once in awhile they can become cancerous although I ca only think of two patients that had it from when it first grew and grew fast. Anyway it's up to you as what you choose to do. Thanks.