Dr Caplan
Dr Caplan, Doctor
Experience:  A family doctor, with medical and residency training in Boston, MA, patients of all ages and wide range of illnesses.

I am 12 weeks pregnant and I live in northern Ohio. Do I

Customer Question

I am 12 weeks pregnant and I live in northern Ohio. Do I need to be concerned about the zika virus this spring and summer? I heard we do not have those type of mosquitos here but it still scares me.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Caplan replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to the chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and observations.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified?

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

The rates of zika virus in the US are small, and very publicized, but one could also argue that the risk of just one case is terrifying enough to make it a worrisome phenomenon. When you ask, "do I need to be concerned?" I would say "yes," but within reason. Provided you are wearing full-covering clothing, excellent mosquito protection, and minimizing your exposure to locations which have mosquitos, you should be fine. The general risk is quite low. It may also be helpful to contact your local department of health, and to monitor the CDC website for any known cases within your region. Most likely, there are very few, if any mosquitos around that would be worrisome. That might provide some anxiety relief for you.