Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn

I am 33 weeks pregnant and I have been having throbbing pain

Customer Question

Hello. I am 33 weeks pregnant and I have been having throbbing pain in my right knee and right thigh. I took Tylenol and it relieved the pain temporarily. I also have pain in my right foot toes when I bend to take the next step. What could this be? I don't have any swelling or redness
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., ObGyn. You are 33 weeks and the baby,s head is dipping in the pelvis and pressuring the lateral nerves on the sides and the increased weight puts pressure on the sciatic nerve usually on the right side. Knee , thigh, foot and some hip. One thing that gets over-looked is sitting on the commode and more pressure on the sciatic nerve. It shouldn't get worse but be careful not to stumble and fall and really damage a hip or even a shoulder. You will relieve the pain temporarily until you deliver and have longer pain relief and it goes away.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doctor the pain is a throbbing stabbing pain it is unbearable. the only thing that will relieve it is some tyenol I do not know what to do. Is it normal to be only on one side? Also my toes on my right side as well hurt... is this all sciata or it can be soemthing else
This is Dr Manos again. You need to be evaluated by your ob doctor to do a few maneuvers to see if the problem is arising from your back or parts of the sciatic nerve since it's unbearable. It's a good sign that Tylenol helps
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Could it be a blood clot in my leg?
If you bring up a question of a blood clot, please talk to your doctor. Fortunately, blood clots in a leg vein don't usually cause unbearable pain. Any questions about this subject have to be answered by your doctor after assessing your leg.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well thankfully the throbbing knee pain has somewhat subsided but the toe pain when I step is still there and it won't be relieved by Tylenol, what could this be?
Hello, Dr Manos again. Have you consulted with your ob about the leg? What did they say?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I asked him he said he doesn't know. What is your
He didn't see you and check your leg including holding your leg straight then lifting your straightened leg up to see what pain you might get in your back? If not, there is nothing I can add at this point.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No he didn't
Did he tell you to just take Tylenol? If so, just rate our conversation and demand he have an orthopedic doctor check you out.