Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

After I have intercourse I am in extreme upper abdominal

Customer Question

After I have intercourse I am in extreme upper abdominal pain, this has been happening for about 6 months now but, it has become unbearable. I bloat and have sharp shooting pains. I have taken ibuprophen, Tylenol, and gas medications but nothing seems to help. sometimes it last for a few days sometimes just for a day.
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 1 year ago.

Good evening! It looks like you have exhausted the basic treatment for pain. With such severe pain after intercourse, I would highly recommend you are evaluated by an OB/GYN in person. Potential causes include ovarian or uterine issues such as cysts (they can twist and cause pain) and endometriosis, or a pelvic infection. In more unusual cases painful intercourse resulting in UPPER abdominal pain can indicate an gastrointestinal issue (liver, gallbladder, appendix). You need a full abdominal and GYN exam and potentially an imaging study (ultrasound vs CT Scan) depending on the exact findings on your exam.