Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.

I've been having intermittent bleeding today but usually has

Customer Question

I've been having intermittent bleeding today but usually has appeared in the toilet after I urinate and wipe. The blood is light pink or bright red similar to when I have my period. My cycle is not due to begin for another week at least.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for submitting your question! Light spotting or bleeding in the toilet could be from a number of potential causes. If you did not ovulate this last cycle, that by itself can cause a light irregular period. Other potential causes include a urinary tract infection (less likely if you are not having painful urination or are not going to the bathroom more frequently that usual), kidney (unlikely if you are not having pain), cervical or vaginal irritation/infection, and uterine causes such as polyps, fibroids, and precancerous/cancerous cells. The most likely causes, if this is a one time event, is cerivcal irritation or a missed ovulation cycle, with the least likely being precancerous or cancerous cells.

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 7 months ago.

This is always challenging to diagnose because of the large number of potential causes as listed above