Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I had an endometrial polyp removed last wednesday via

Customer Question

I had an endometrial polyp removed last wednesday via hysteroscopy.Thursday and Friday I had no bleeding so saturday and sunday so I went swimming ( no tampon required) but Sunday when I got out of the pool I started to bleed again and have been bleeding ever since (not excessively but significant). I am concerned I have caused an infection or worse still some bacteria could enter the bloodstream via the wound or who knows what. Looking now it says everywhere not to swim but my doctor said it was ok if I wanted to. Now I am doubting him and got myself all stressed that I have caused an infection. I do not have a fever,
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
why do they say not to swim? what are the consequences of swimming after a procedure?
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. First of all there was no reason not to swim. The uterus is basically shut off from anything going through the cervix. What kind of bleeding were you doing before the polyp was removed? You shouldn't be having this bleeding after having the polyp removed. When is your next appointment with the Gyn? I'm sure they want to follow up on the procedure and go over the pathology report which should be ok. If you don't have an appointment scheduled then they need to see you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am having bleeding like a light period
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Before polyp just irregular bleeding

The irregular bleeding may not have been due to the polyp or you were going to bleed now like a period.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
should I worry that I am bleeding or have slight cramps 1 week post op when on day 1 and 2 I felt great before swim. Could I have an infection or done some damage ?

I don't believe you should be bleeding so soon after your polyp removal and swimming shouldn't have mattered. Like I said you need to bring up your concern with the doctors that have done the surgery.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry one more question . I am not even sure if I had a dilation curettage at the same time. Would this make a difference to the swimming snd bleeding situation

A d&c would be appropriate depending on what the endometrial cavity looked like before the procedure

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but you didnt answer my question.Assuming I had a d&C would that explain the bleeding and would the swim have been detrimental to the healing process

If you had removal of polyp and d&c then you shouldn't have bleeding after the procedure except for some spotting and swimming shouldn't cause an infection

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thank you I am still bleeding with some light cramps and pain in my groin so I should probably get it checked out

I hope it works out