Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Because of vaginal itching possibly due to antibiotics that

Customer Question

Because of vaginal itching possibly due to antibiotics that I am taking for 6 weeks after a hip revision, my vaginal tissue is very irritated, swollen and sore. What can I do to repair the damage caused by scratching?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The intervention that I typically recommend is to soak in warm Betadine-water. There are portable devices that can be placed on the toilet to do this, called a Sitz bath, but most people would rather just do this in bath water in a tub. The Betadine is also available as a generic product, called povidone-iodine.

After rinsing and patting dry, then the Vaseline can be applied, as you have been doing.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I appreciate your response. Is there anything else I can do? I am no longer able to get in the tub but I can have someone purchase the sitz bath item tomorrow. I am at the point where I cannot wear my underwear because it is so sensitive.

Using the devices that sit on the toilet would be fine.

There are other substances that can be used in the water, such as Epsom salts, but my patients usually say that the Betadine is more soothing and is better at promoting healing.

It also would be fine to use compresses between sitz baths. Cool compresses are not as effective at promoting healing, but may be soothing. Warm compresses can help to ease inflammation, but is also usually not as effective as soaking in the warm water.

There are also other ointments that can be used instead of the Vaseline, such as A&D ointment, but the Vaseline is equivalent to the alternatives.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I will try those first thing.

You are very welcome.