Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I am 40, my menstrual cycles have always been regular. All

Customer Question

I am 40, my menstrual cycles have always been regular. All of the sudden I have missed three periods. I am not pregnant
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I do feel somewhat bloated, but nothing else
JA: OK got it. Last thing — OB GYN Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 months ago.

Have you had much stress lately?

Has your weight changed?

Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My stress level is consistent with what it usually is. I have gained about 10-15 pounds over the last 6 months. I haven't taken contraceptives since around 2007
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My husband had a vasectomy in 2007 after our last child was born

The most likely cause of your missed periods is that you haven't ovulated for the past 3 months. Ovulation is what brings on a period 2 weeks later.

As women age, they tend to ovulate less regularly, especially after the age of 40.

Stress and weight change also tend to interrupt ovulation. And these things will do so more often after the age of 40.

Since you have missed 3 periods, I would recommend that you see your doctor. The doctor can check that everything else is normal, and then can give you some progesterone pills to bring on a period. That will help to prevent too much buildup of the uterine lining, and also prevent abnormal or heavy bleeding. Best wishes.