Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

My last menstrual cycle ended January 4,16. On February 24th

Customer Question

My last menstrual cycle ended January 4,16. On February 24th I had a light period but would go away then next days after would just come back light again on and off. Then around March 4 or 5 my actual period flow came. I still have it. I have no pains or anything. I have been overly stressed out so I don't know if that plays a major part.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. It only takes stress to mess up women's mensrual cycles. Overly stressed will throw your cycles like you're experiencing. It's simple that there is a part of the brain (the hypothalamus) that releases hormones that are formed next to the pituitary gland and stimulate or block the gland. It affects the hormones the pituitary gland releases to regulate the ovary. Stress throws off the activity of the hypothalamus which throws off everything. Without control of the ovaries, the uterus lining can bleed every which way and can be controlled by medications depending on what the uterus looks like on ultrasound. If the stress eases then it may take weeks for your cycles to get back to normal.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my cycle will eventually go away just not as fast as it normally would because of how stressed I've been?

The stress messes the fine tuning of your cycle. No other part of your body bleeds once per month for five days or so. Women don't realize what goes into controlling the ovaries and uterus not even considering pregnancy. It's all amazing and stress throws off the program just like a computer gets thrown off and computer geeks know how to fix it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I shouldn't be concerned then and just Mother Nature finish playing her role then

It's your choice as to what you want to do with unpredictable bleeding. You might bleed for another week or two.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your time and explanation to what I'm going through at the moment with this cycle of mines.

Thank you for your trust.