Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

Why is there NO vaginal order after hysterectomy. My husband

Customer Question

Why is there NO vaginal order after hysterectomy. My husband is very upset that there is no order at all
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: Immediately after my hysterectomy my body stopped having the normal, pleasant to my husband, vaginal odor. I am 54. Had a hysterectomy at 48 for fibroid tumor, caused iron deficient anemia,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: uterus and cervix remover. I did not consent to the removal of my cervix. I don't know why that happened
JA: Our top Gynecologist is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Gynecologist in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Gynecologist until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant odor not order. My vagina has no smell at all. Also how can I tighten my vagina naturally?
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., ObGyn. A hysterectomy means removal of the uterus including the cervix. Sometimes a supracervical hysterectomy is done leaving the cervix in. This is all discussed at the time of the surgery. As far as odor after hysterectomy, I must admit I never heard this brought up in over forty years of working in this specialty. Kegel's vaginal tightening exercises are popular and can be Googled for information about it. I'm sorry things haven't worked better so far. You need to bring up the removal of the cervix with the doctor who performed the surgery. I hope this answers your concerns.

This is Dr Manos again. Around 10-20 years ago we started doing more hysterectomies and leaving the cervix. We thought it might improve the overall structure of the vagina and the role the cervix played sexually was never clear. I stopped doing hysterectomies and just did high risk pregnancies around ten years ago. I don't know how many gyns continued leaving the cervix but it made sense to me.