Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am having vibrating sensations in my lower abdomen/ uterus

Customer Question

I am having vibrating sensations in my lower abdomen/ uterus area that feels like a cell phone vibrating and is happening every 20 seconds or so and lasts two to three seconds. I had a Mirena IUD placed approximately 2 1/2 years ago and haven't had any problems with it that I'm aware of. The only odd thing is that after sexual intercourse about 6 days ago I started bleeding for about three days. Like a period. Now I'm having this vibrating sensation in my uterine area. Should I be concerned? What causes this?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Gynecologist should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 8 months ago.

I wouldn't be very concerned. I don't know what is causing the vibrating sensations, but it's not likely to be anything serious.

And having some bleeding during sex when you have the Mirena is not unusual. The Mirena is helping to prevent uterine cancer as well as preventing pregnancy.

I would recommend that you see your doctor for an exam and to check it out. If your exam is completely normal, then I would not worry. Most likely the vibrating sensation will disappear over time. Best regards.