Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

February my period was 3 days late came on fourth day and

Customer Question

February my period was 3 days late came on fourth day and stayed on three days. Had intercourse with my spouse on my ovulation day February 17, 2016 and again the next day. March comes period is 5 days late, on the 6 day Brown discharge so I used a panty liner and abdominal pain as I went back to the bathroom nothing's there so hours after I began my period bright red blood and the abdominal pain gets severe so I take pain pill go to bed. Today same thing but the pain is when I get up or down and when I went to poop the abdominal pain was so intense that I had to hold on to the toilet paper dispenser what does this mean
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about the pain. The first thing we'd do is check a home urine pregnancy test. With both an abnormal bleeding pattern and pain, we need to make sure there is no tubal or other ectopic pregnancy.

If the pregnancy test is negative, we can be sure that the abnormal bleeding and pain aren't due to a pregnancy complication.

In that case, it's possible there is an ovarian cyst, fibroid or polyp causing the symptoms.

If a woman is having such intense pain, we do recommend that she be seen as soon as possible. This may mean a visit to the ER if unable to see a gynecologist in the office today.

I hope all goes well and nothing serious comes of this. Please reply if I can add details or clarify anything.