Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I had symptoms of a uti a month ago (I was on antibiotics

Customer Question

Hi. I had symptoms of a uti a month ago (I was on antibiotics for sinus infection) my urinalysis showed trace blood at that time and I was prescribed cipro. Before I had gone I had taken a cipro 2 days prior. Symptoms eased a bit. So anyways, everything seemed to clear. Then about a week ago uti symptoms. Pressure in my pelvis area, no burning but frequent urination. It never burned or anything just the pressure. And it was in my mind that I kept thinking I was leaking urine. Started cipro. Days would ease then I would still get up thru the night on some nights and keep having to pee. So a few days ago I noticed burning, and I was back to frequently urinating like I was back to square one. Like my crotch is on fire sometimes. Also, I'm sorry for being too descriptive but it is slightly reddened on the inside of my vagina. And I noticed my clitoral area hurt. My question, could this all be a yeast infection? Frequent urination as well? There isn't the clumpy discharge but I noticed some white discharge. And no chance of std, I've been with the same partner for 6+ years. Help please.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., ObGyn. It seems like you have a UTI and probable yeast vaginitis. You need a urine culture and sensitivity and a microscopic exam if any vaginal secretions. You need to get to the bottom of what's going on

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in the mean time, what would you suggest to relieve some symptoms. Do you think the YI could cause frequent urination or not typically

If you get some swelling of tissue around the urethral opening it can lead to urgency. You can drink cranberry juice that retards urinary bacteria. It might help if you could get nystatin capsules that we used to use years ago.