Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

Is it possible to have unprotected sex on Sunday, take the

Customer Question

Is it possible to have unprotected sex on Sunday, take the emergency pill on that Tuesday & have a positive urine test that Friday? Just 5 days after unprotected sex?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am privileged to help you get more understanding about your current concern. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or Skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

A few questions first to clarify your concern:

1. What is the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP)?
2. Do you have periods every month, i.e. 28-30 days? If not what is your menstrual cycle length?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
First day of my cycle was October 30. Usually it last from 5-7 days. Every month I have a period
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is very important for me. We had unprotected sex on November the 5th, 7th and again on the 11th. I'm trying to find out when I most likely got pregnant.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your response.

Since your LMP was 30 October 2015 then you have missed 4 periods and likely are pregnant since at least mid-November. So the positive pregnancy test is due to a pregnancy that happened long before March.

It would be best for you to have a blood test and ultrasound to determine just how far along you are. A urine test is only accurate 10 days past the time of a pregnancy. So this urine test you took was done too early for a pregnancy related from the sex on Sunday. I hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't.

Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this question as my goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied with your answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know that I am pregnant. I have already had sonograms done and even established the gender. My partner left & and on that 15th I had intercourse with someone else. Immediately that Tuesday I took the emergency test and Friday took a urine test, getting a faint positive sign. Was this from the Sunday or was I pregnant before this happened on Sunday?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

So if you were pregnant before Sunday why did you take the emergency contraception?

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Yes, as I stated above the positive pregnancy test was from before Sunday

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wasn't aware that I was already pregnant when that happened on that Sunday.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Ok, thanks for the updated information. How many weeks is the pregnancy?

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Please be sure to rate me so I will get compensated for my time and feel free to ask for me for your next health question

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you soooooo much for being so helpful. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown over all of this. I'm panicking. My partner & I had sex on that Thursday the 5th, Saturday the 7th and again that following Wednesday the 11th. I feel like a fool because he walked out on me just days following. Then on that Sunday I had unprotected sex, not with my "partner.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's when I took the emergency pill to be safe from Sunday. I took a test that Friday and it was very faint. I wasn't sure if that test could be positive from that Sunday. I'm just needing to be sure and pinpoint when I got pregnant.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

So glad I was able to help relief some stress. You should start taking prenatal vitamins if you have not already,a nd make sure you keep up with your water intake and avoid caffiene.

and oh Congratualtions!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, so this pregnancy is NOT from that Sunday????!!?!!! Just to be clear.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

How many weeks were you told on the ultrasound?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was told I'm "Almost 20 weeks" today
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

20 weeks means this pregnancy started 4 months ago,... so yes the pregnancy test was positive due to a pregnancy that started sometime in November 2015. Take care.

Have a great day!

Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer, thank you for your compliment, but a gentle reminder that I do not get compensated for my time unless you click the accept. Thanks