Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am wondering if I am pregnant but am too nervous to take a

Customer Question

Hi. I am wondering if I am pregnant but am too nervous to take a test. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about 8-9 months without success. My doctor assured me there didn't appear to be any problems and that if we kept trying I should eventually conceive. This month my period, which usually cycles between 29-31 days is over a week late. I have mild cramping in the lower back, stomach, and pelvic areas. I usually experience cramping/pressure in the lower back as part of PMS, but it is typically much more severe than this. My breasts are tender and full. Today I noticed some pink tinged cervical mucus when I wipe. Also, I have been exceptionally fatigued the past 5-7 days. I typically only sleep for about 7 hours but have been sleeping 9-10 recently. I had irregular cycles in high school and college but am now 30 years old and haven't missed a period in 10 years and have never been this late. Could I be pregnant?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

You definitely could be pregnant. When a woman who never misses a period does miss one, pregnancy is the most likely reason.

It is also possible that you didn't ovulate this month, and that's the reason for the missed period. However, I would bet on pregnancy. Do a test (first morning urine). That will tell you.

If the test is negative, then you probably didn't ovulate this month. But I suspect that the test will be positive. Good luck!