Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a question that I'd like to discuss with a doctor

Customer Question

I have a question that I'd like to discuss with a doctor around sleep. I am 28 weeks pregnant and have struggled with sleep for my whole life, but at this point, in the last month or so it has gotten harder than ever. My doctor perscribed me ambien and said it was safe to take but I would like some more clarification. I cannot sleep without it. I take 5 mg a night.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi

The drug is pregnancy category C.

This means it can be used, but has potential problems.

For example, when used in the third trimester the newborn might experience withdrawal.

There is no controlled data on the use of ambien in pregnancy.

I would suggest a sleep study to see what the actual problem is.

I would get off ambien if there is another solution.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.