Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer had hysterectomy and

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer had hysterectomy and chemo and radiation last Pap smear showed strophic changes is this normal also recently had sex and there was bleeding but it stopped right away can dryness cause this please help me I am ways scarec
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

I suspect that you mean atrophic changes, which means changes from atrophy, which is a wasting of vaginal tissues due to low estrogen plus radiation.

Atrophic changes are to be expected after removal of the ovaries (or after menopause). It is associated with vaginal dryness and can also cause bleeding with sex.

Most likely the bleeding has nothing to do with your previous cancer, although it would be best to see your doctor to have it checked out.

Vaginal atrophy can usually be reversed using estrogen cream. We are sometimes reluctant to use estrogen after a woman has been treated for uterine cancer, but most experts feel that is is reasonably safe, plus it can help women like yourself very much. Best wishes.