Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Does marijuana use in father cause birthdefects or some

Customer Question

hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: does marijuana use in father cause birthdefects or some issues for the baby
JA: OK got it. Last thing — OB GYN Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i think my wife is pregnant and i have been using mariujana for a year now, I am just worried that my cannibis use would affect the babies health in any way.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 9 months ago.

Although marijuana use by the father can cause a decrease in sperm count and possible fertility problems, it does not cause birth defects as far as we know.

There is some research that suggests that the father's use of marijuana before, during pregnancy, and after birth may be associated with an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome. Most likely that risk would be minimal as long as your baby after being born isn't exposed to marijuana smoke. Best regards.