Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm 51 had still have regular periods. I have fibroid tumors

Customer Question

I'm 51 had still have regular periods. I have fibroid tumors and I always feel like a have to pee, or that there is a lot of pressure. Is this normal?
JA: The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: I have regular periods that last 3-4 days every month. I have at least 4 fibroid tumors that range in size from a nickle to a baseball. I feel like my bladder is leaking and that I always have to pee. I thought that when I hit this age I wouldn't have periods which would cause the fibroid to shrink. Is that normal?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: I'm 5'1", 180 lbs. I've been having dizzy spells occasionally and when it happens I hear my blood pressure in my ear.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. You are right in thinking the fibroids will shrink with menopause. By the time you are 55 the periods would have stopped or sooner. The peepee problems are from the pressure of your uterus and fibroids on your urinary bladder. You'll have to be on the lookout for a ladies room and not drink too much water in the evening so that you don't have to wake up at night to pee. When you have fibroids its "normal" to have your symptoms. There is no way to tell how much the fibroids will shrink later on and whether you'll have fewer symptoms.