Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am on a low dose birth-control, Lo Loestrin Fe. I would

Customer Question

I am on a low dose birth-control, Lo Loestrin Fe. I would like to stop taking the pill, but want to make sure that I do not get pregnant. I had intercourse on the last four days of my pillpack. I was also on my period. I am going to start a new pack tomorrow. Should I continue taking the birth control to prevent pregnancy from when I had intercourse Or how long should I wait to stop taking it to make sure I do not become pregnant? This is my first month being back on birth control after having taken 6 months off after 10 years on Yasmin.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 9 months ago.

You are protected when you have intercourse and are on the pill. This includes the most recent episode of sex. You cannot get pregnant even if you do not start a new pill pack. Of course you are unprotected as soon as you are off the pill.