Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I have not had a menstrual cycle in literally 8-10 years. I

Customer Question

I have not had a menstrual cycle in literally 8-10 years. I am quite active, 44, and without any major health problems, but I do have an excessive amount of stress right now caring for a terminally ill parent, and I also have Sjögren's syndrome and the diagnosis of it corresponds to the same length of time when I stopped menstruating. My question is: for the past 4-5 days, I have been experiencing light spotting and bleeding as if I am having a cycle. What does this possibly mean?
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have also read that the absence of a monthly period for 12 months in an individual is considered menopause. If that is the case, I would have been in menopause in my early to mid thirties and that just doesn't sound likely in my case. As far as hormones go, my mom has been treated for hyperthyroidism for approximately the past 5-6 years, one of my sister's has been on medication for hypothyroidism for several years, and my other sister had her thyroid removed earlier this year.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also have not used any birth control for about 20 years, although I have remained sexually active. It interferes with my psychiatric meds.
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Manos, M.D., board certified ObGyn. I'd like to help you with my thoughts. At 44 years old it not likely to be your average menopause. You need to understand that a woman's cycle is controlled by the nypothalmus area of the brain with a direct link to the adjacent pituitary gland that is in synch with the ovaries. It is likely that your neurological problems shutdown the ovaries via the pituitary gland. My concern is that you have not been shutdown as in menopause as your ovaries may have been producing estrogen and this unopposed estrogen could effect the lining of the uterus. You need to make an appointment for a Gyn exam, pelvic ultrasound and a blood test to see what your pituitary gland is doing. You may very well be fine but the exam and basic tests will confirm things. It's a very interesting case and determining where you stand in regard to your cycles will be a relief to know. Plus I'm very interested to see what shows up with your circumstances.

This is Dr Manos again and what have you done since I gave you my response to your question?