Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele,
Experience:  specialist at self employed
28905844

I am wondering about the interactions between antibiotics

Customer Question

I am wondering about the interactions between antibiotics (100mg doxycycline hyclate) and birth control pills (lo loesterin fe)
JA: OK. The Gynecologist will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Gynecologist can help you best.
Customer: I was taking antibiotics for one week and then had unprotected sex a few days ago. I was just wondering what the interactions were between the antibiotics and the birth control pills. I did take the morning after pill - Plan B - the morning after.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gynecologist should know?
Customer: I've never had a period while taking my pills and I've been on them for 4 years. I don't take any other medications aside from Zyrtec.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Gynecologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 10 months ago.

doxycycline can affect the contraception of birth control pill for the rest of the cycle, so taking plan b was the right activity. As you took it soon after the contact, success is guaranteed and you are on the safe side. Protection by birth control pill now is given again from the beginning of the following cycle.

Best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them.Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating.

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele