Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I am a 51 yr old women and have had 3 c sections. I am very

Customer Question

I am a 51 yr old women and have had 3 c sections . I am very active and not over weight but in the last few months my periods have been lasting 2 weeks the first week normal but the second week only when I make love to my husband or sometimes it comes out when I pee? is that normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

Are you saying that menstrual bleeding lasts for 2 weeks at time of period?

Do you suffer from stress or anxiety issue?

Are you getting periods on right time?

Are you taking any medications?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
for two weeks first week is normal but when it usually stops after 5 days it is now continuing for 7-9 days bleeding hard during sex and when urinating only
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, ideally A normal period can last up to eight days, but bleeding for five days is average and there is a blood loss between 20 and 60 ml (4-12 teaspoonfuls).

Periods, lasting for 2 weeks, is not normal and has to be thoroughly evaluated.

It could be related with hormonal imbalance.

I would make you clear that the average age of menopause is 51 years, but the normal range is 45 years to 55 years. Considering your age, Peri-menopause is one of the common possibility.

It is possible that you may be in stage of perimenopause. .

During perimenopause, shifts in hormone levels can affect ovulation and cause changes in the menstrual cycle.

During perimenopause one may have irregular bleeding or spotting. Period may be longer/ heavier. Sometimes it can be shorter. During perimenopause, hormone levels may not follow regular pattern.

You may need a blood test to check for the level of the hormones estrogen and LH.

There is another condition- Endometrial hyperplasia—In this condition, the lining of the uterus thickens and can cause irregular bleeding. It is caused by excess estrogen without enough progesterone.

I understand that Pap test is already done, but further clinical evaluation is necessary.

You need to get a internal (vaginal) examination to check your neck of the womb and also to assess the size and shape of your womb (uterus).

Also- Ultrasound Scan, Endometrial sampling and Blood tests to check hormone levels would be diagnostic.

Your doctor may start with hormone pills like-Norethisterone, Long-acting progestogen contraceptives or combined oral contraceptive pill (COCP). These are prescription pills, and would most likely reduce bleeding time, and help to regulate normal menstrual cycle.

Please consult your doctor and discuss this issue with them.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business