Dr Norbert Scheufele
Dr Norbert Scheufele,
Experience:  specialist at self employed
28905844

I am worried. Today i had some discharge which was clear /

Customer Question

Hello ... I am worried. Today i had some discharge which was clear / white but there was a solid red flake in it (looked just like a chilli flake) - it did not smudge or anything. I've never had this before. Is this blood, if so can it present like a solid stand alone dark red flake? What can it be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Norbert Scheufele replied 1 year ago.

discharge sometimes can contain only a very little part of blood, which then can appear like you described. It also could be a small mucosal tissue. Anyway, there is for sure no reason to be worried in this case.

Best regards,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But why would it occur? I am mid cycle and it doesn't look like a reddish tinged discharge or part of the discharge it looks like a stand alone dark red flake like a chili flake but darker and it does not smudge. Is this still blood and why would it occur out of the blue? Is something bleeding in me and I have never heard of blood looking like this dry when the rest of my discharge is wet - I hope this makes sense. Would like a little more explanation on why this would occur. Thank you.

Due to hormonal imbalance a litte bleeding can occur anytime, typically in the middle of the cycle. It can happen that the blood stays a little longer inside the uterus and then leaks as a blood clot like you describes. As I told you it also could be a small part of mucosa.

Just await the further progression, it´s definitely harmless.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a cervical polyp which was recently discovered but had never bled - It is getting removed under GA in a week's time. I have certainly never had a clot or any bleeding that looked like a flat solid dark red flake that does not smudge so I am concerned and certainly anxious. What further progression am I waiting for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition I often have sharp prickle and needle pain in my lower pelvic area - is this related?

This could be a sign of inflammation which should be clarified by your OB/GYN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not really getting enough detail in your answer - what can the inflammation be caused by - I have no STDs negative chlymadia and clean PAP just a month ago. How Is this related to the blood and also what progression am I waiting for? Perhaps another OB/GYN online expert can help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

Please understand that a reliable diagnosis is not possible from the distance. An infectious inflammation could occur even by using a public restroom and this could be one possible reason for your pain. The blood has a hormonal background as I told you. I definitely still don´t see a reason to be worried in your case, but as a reliable dignosis is only possible by examination. you shoud visit your doctor to get reassured.

if there are still open questions, I will be glad to answer them.Otherwise please don´t forget to honour my work with a kindly rating.

Thanks a lot, all the best for you,

Dr. N. Scheufele

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

I was informed that you still need more answers, please let me know about it so that I can satisfy you.