Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I have had 3 periods in 6 weeks. I am 28-year old married

Customer Question

I have had 3 periods in 6 weeks. I am 28-year old married woman. I have not been on birth control in 5 years, have no kids and have never been pregnant. My last pap was regular in Nov 2015. Can you help explain what is going on?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Do you have any other known medical illness?

Have you recently put on weight or loose weight?

Do you have history of irregular periods in past?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not had any medical illnesses. I do not have a history of irregular periods. I have not gained/lost any weight.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms of having 3 periods in 6 weeks you had can be due to various causes.

The most common causes are:stress,anxiety,imbalance of hormones,polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS)/estrogen dominance,uterine abnormalities (fibroids/cysts/polyps/endometriosis).

Stress/depression/anxiety is one of the most common cause followed by PCOS.

You may need clinical examination,testing for thyroid function and other hormone levels. A pelvic exam is required to rule out any uterine abnormality, a cervical polyp or fibroid, or a uterine infection.Also you need an ultrasound to evaluate the uterus, the ovaries and the fallopian tubes.

This is not serious or dangerous issue.Many a times,this gets recovered/normal on its own without any medication.So you need to wait & watch your cycle.

If this continues for more then 3 cycles/3 months ,then you need to consult to your gynae doctor for tests & examination to know the underlying cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Hormonal tests & ultrasound (if required)will then be done.

As of now,just keep an eye of observation.

Hope this helped

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh