Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am ***** *****, and I am wondering if my elevated

Customer Question

I am ***** *****, and I am wondering if my elevated platelets (485) could be due to a GYN issue, such as being on the pill or having a c section in november. I also had an IUD and heavy bleeding for a month in january.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just have the elevated platelets and I had a baby in november
JA: OK got it. Last thing — OB GYN Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified Ob-gyne. I can help you today.

I'm sorry to hear about your concern with high platelets. Your level is slightly high and can be due to a very long list of conditions. Major surgery, such as a C-section can cause the platelets to go up but usually that would go away within 3 months. Other common causes include infections, allergic reactions, anemia and vitamin deficiencies. There are less common causes that would be checked for if the abnormal count continues. Usually with a mild elevation like you have, we'd simply repeat the test in a few months to see if it corrects itself or not. If it doesn't, we'd start checking into causes.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombocytosis/basics/causes/CON-20032674

I hope this information was helpful. Let me know if I can clarify anything or add details.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 9 months ago.

Any questions?