Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Does 10 yrs of pill use followed by 5 yrs of the copper iud

Customer Question

Does 10 yrs of pill use followed by 5 yrs of the copper iud increase risk cervical cancer? I just had an abnormal pap and am waiting results from the follow up colposcopy and uterine biopsy. I am 53 and had one episode of atypical bleeding one year ago that resolved. Just missed my first period .
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

10 years of pill use and 5 years of the copper iud does not increase the risk of cervical cancer.

As long as you've been having routine Pap smears, you won't have cervical cancer now. The most you could have is some precancerous changes, since we see that years before cervical cancer develops.