Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have burning in my urethra, no discharge. It started on

Customer Question

I have burning in my urethra, no discharge. It started on Tuesday with itching, then progressed to a stinging sensation while urinating or palpitating the urethra. I had unprotected sex 6 days ago with a man. I had a Z-pac on hand and took the recommended dose of 2g, one time, which was two days ago. The symptoms seem to be worse. I cannot afford to go to the Dr without insurance, if I can avoid it, and have on hand Keflex 500mg capsules as well as Cipro. I know getting tested is preferred, but I wanted to know which of these would be best given my symptoms as a first treatment, with a trip to the doctor next week if all else fails.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also have a few other antiobiotics on hand, amoxicillin included.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One other thing, I seem to have a cold which is highly likely coincidence. But I thought I'd mention it. Cough, producing mucus, stuffy head.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I paid extra and signed up for the monthly plan to have this answered quickly, in under 30 minutes. Been sitting here and dont have any responses yet. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry, but no expert responded in the OBGyn category, so the question has been added to the Medical category.

You are correct that it would typically be better to be checked. However, of the antibiotics that you mentioned, the Cipro would be better than the amoxicillin or the Keflex. There are some antibiotics that would be preferable to the Cipro, such as Bactrim.

Could you list what other antibiotics you have on hand?