Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in obstetrical care and routine gynecology. 14 years experience as a family physician.
13781349

In 48 years old (almost 49) and my periods have always been

Customer Question

In 48 years old (almost 49) and my periods have always been like clock work every 28-30 days. This last month seemed a lot heavier than I have had before and my next period came only 19 days later and was much lighter. This is the first time it has happened so I'm wondering if I should be concerned or is this just the normal start of menopause?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 10 months ago.

There are a couple of possible reasons for your experience . Almost age 49 would definitely be most common age to start and see peri- menopausal irregularities of menstrual cycle....the development of follicle each month that controls your estrogen and progesterone may have been irregular and may have not developed completely as usual on the short cycle giving you the cycle only 19 days after the last ....

The heavy bleeding is often associated with development of uterine fibroids but only one cycle that was heavy would not fit with that as cause ...

Your history seems from your description to have more of irregular peri- menopausal type symptoms

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD