Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My husband and I are 75 and respectively. We have not had

Customer Question

My husband and I are 75 and 69 respectively. We have not had intercourse for a number of years due to health concerns but we miss the closeness and want to try again. I started using premarin cream again for which I had a prescription. The first time, I had difficulty inserting the applicator and there was some blood. The second time, it was easier and there was no blood but the third time, which was last evening, there was a good deal of bleeding and still some spotting. Is this normal? Should I continue to use the premarin before we try to have intercourse? I had a complete hysterectomy in 1986 and have not had pap smears or vaginal exams for a number of years.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 9 months ago.

After menopause, a woman's vaginal tissues will become, thin, fragile, and not very elastic, especially if she doesn't have intercourse. This is mostly due to low estrogen, although also to not using it.

Estrogen will restore the vaginal tissues to almost the way they were before menopause, but it takes a while, usually at least 2 weeks of nightly estrogen use.

I suspect that your bleeding is just due to these changes, but it probably would be best for you to see your doctor for an exam to be sure there is nothing else there that is bleeding.

And I wouldn't try intercourse until you've used the Premarin cream for at least 2 weeks, or there's likely to be even more blood. Best wishes.