Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Specialist advice in Gynecology,Menstrual problems,STDs, Pregnancy .
6740150

I am 55. I haven't had sex in over 8 years. I recently

Customer Question

I am 55. I haven't had sex in over 8 years. I recently started seeing someone and the 2 times we have had sex I bleed during sex. I went to my Dr and got a pelvic exam. She said she found a lesion on the side of my vaginal canal. She did a test using the same things she used for my pap smear. Results came back abnormal. Im seeing a surgeon next week. Please tellme wha this could be. Im terrified
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

When was your pap smear test done?

When did you had menopause?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pap smear was done feb 3 2016 . Havent had a period for 5 years
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 10 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the reply.

The Pap test detects changes in the cells of the cervix.An abnormal Pap smear test may indicate that you have an infection or abnormal cells called dysplasia.

Abnormal pap smear test you had on feb 3,2016 can be due to following causes:

What an abnormal result means depends on the type of cells discovered in your test.Also I would like to tell you that abnormal Pap smear results do not mean you have cancer or anything serious or dangerous.

Most of the time, the abnormal cell changes are caused by certain types of human papilloma virus or HPV. HPV is a sexually transmitted infection.

So bot***** *****ne is that as you have already had an appointment with surgeon next week,so based on the types of cells detected,treatment will be done accordingly.Surgical treatments include cryosurgery, electrocauterization, laser therapy, or cutting them out(if there are any warts).

Hope this helped

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh