Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have been on the nuvaring months now. The first month I

Customer Question

I have been on the nuvaring for 2 months now. The first month I kept it in for the full 21 days, removed it on jan 8th and reinserted it on jan 15th. Therefore, I would be due to take it out this Friday feb. 5th. However, I took it out yesterday, the 2nd (4 days early). I did this because I have a gyno appointment next week and I wanted to be off of my period for the exam. I had sex last night after removing the nuvaring yesterday AM. Should I take a Plan B today? That is the last thing that I want to do because I know how much it will mess with my body. Is it possible that I ovulated yesterday on the same day that I took the nuvaring out? Or will I just get my period in a few days? Please help.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.

It's not likely that you ovulated yesterday on the same day you took the nuvaring out, but you might ovulate today or tomorrow. Once you take the nuvaring out, you are no longer protected by it.

If you do ovulate today or tomorrow, the sperm from yesterday are still there, and pregnancy is possible.

Because of that, I would take Plan B now. It will help to prevent pregnancy.

As long as you leave the ring in for at least 21 days, then you're protected for the following 7 days. When you take it out early, that's no longer true.

You probably will get your period in a couple days, and if you do, that probably would mean that you're not pregnant. But if you want to be more sure, I would take the Plan B.