Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  40 years experience; Board certified Ob-Gyn
88055251

I'm 58 years old, post-menopausal. In the past week or so,

Customer Question

I'm 58 years old, post-menopausal. In the past week or so, I've had vaginal dryness and irritation, along with a strong odor coming from my vagina. No discharge. I have not been sexually active in at least 5 years.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Ted Manos MD, board certified obgyn. It's pretty obvious to me that you have what we call strophic vaginitis. You don't produce much estrogen hormone which thickens the lining of the vagina. With thinning, the base of the lining gets irritated and some fluid seeps into the vagina and bacteria cause irritation and odor. You need to be seen by a doctor to consider prescribing estrogen cream to rebuild the lining. This condition is common and seen more in thin women. Heavy set ladies have some estrogen from fat tissue.